Units & Dose
Search MedCalc 3000
EHR Connect Edition
Grow MedCalc 3000
Submit New Formula/Feedback
Suggested Management of Patients with Raised Lipid Levels TreeCalc®
The MedCalc 3000 module Suggested Management of Patients with Raised Lipid Levels TreeCalc® is available in
MedCalc 3000 Complete Edition.
This Decision TreeCalc evaluates the following decision points:
- Is there evidence of established CHD?
- What is the Total Cholesterol?
- What is the HDL Cholesterol?
- Do Lipoprotein Analysis. LDL cholesterol? [(total cholesterol - HDL) - (triglycerides / 5)]
- Are there ≥2 positive risk factors? [age (male ≥45, female ≥55 or premature menopause without estrogen replacement therapy), smoking, hypertension or currently taking medication to control hypertension, HDL cholesterol ≤35 mg/dL, diabetes, family history of premature CHD]
- Do Lipoprotein Analysis. Target LDL is <100 mg/dL. What is the LDL?
Decision Tree end points include:
- Reassess total and HDL Levels in 5 years. Provide information on diet, physical activity, and risk factor reduction.
- Reassess total and HDL levels in 1-2 years. Reinforce, physical activity, and other risk factor reduction activities.
- Reassess total and HDL in 5 years. Provide information on diet, physical activity, and risk factor reduction.
- Clinical workup (history, physical, lab tests) to check for secondary causes or familial disorders. Consider risk factors that can be changed. Initiate Step I diet; if fails proceed to Step II diet. Target LDL is <160 mg/dL. Consider drug therapy if LDL ≥190 mg/dL.
- Clinical workup (history, physical, lab tests) to check for secondary causes or familial disorders. Consider risk factors that can be changed. Initiate Step I diet; if fails proceed to Step II diet. Target LDL is <130 mg/dL. Consider drug therapy if LDL ≥160 mg/dL.
- Reassess total, HDL and LDL annually. Provide information on Step I diet and physical activity.
- Do clinical workup and initiate diet and/or drug therapy.
- Individualize instruction on diet and physical activity and repeat lipoprotein analysis annually.
| Legal Notices and Disclaimer |
All information contained in and produced by the MedCalc 3000 system is provided
for educational purposes only. This information should not be used for the
diagnosis or treatment of any health problem or disease.
THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED TO REPLACE CLINICAL JUDGMENT OR
GUIDE INDIVIDUAL PATIENT CARE IN ANY MANNER.
Click here for full notice and disclaimer.
MedCalc 3000 is Copyright © 1998-2014 Foundation Internet [Build 250321 v14.4]